pages

8/9/12

thoughts [Lewis]





there've been a handful of authors who've had a profound impact on my life—how I understand it and how I live it.  I thought I'd share their thoughts in the hope that they'll prove as helpful to you as they have to me.

his words:

"Good and evil both increase at compound interest. That is why the little decisions you and I make everyday are of such infinite importance." 

"Every time you make a choice you are turning the central part of you, the part that chooses, into something a little different from what it was before. And taking your life as a whole, with all your innumerable choices, all your life long, you are slowly turning yourself into a heavenly creature or a hellish creature... Each of us at each moment is progressing to the one state of the other."

"The smallest good act today is the capture of a strategic point from which, a few months later, you may be able to go on to victories you never dreamed of. An apparently trivial indulgence in lust or anger today is the loss of a ridge or a railway line or bridgehead from which the enemy may launch an attack otherwise impossible."

from "Charity", "Morality and Psychoanalysis" in Mere Christianity


my realizations:

choices make habits. no moment is negligible, each adds to the overall habit (trajectory, portrait) of my life. it encouraged me to lay down my life in little ways: folding towels when no one was home; volunteering to wash the dishes; dropping everything to comfort a distressed friend.
creating a habit of servanthood is hard. but I've never regretted it.
obviously, I'm not perfect at it.
but I'm encouraged to think that every step I take makes the next one easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment